A high purines diet is a massive risk factor when it comes to getting gout attacks and therefore foods low in purines are the best types of foods that should be eaten by people that have gout. Purine in the body converts to uric acid which causes gout. Most doctors will prescribe medications that will get rid of uric acid levels in the body but wouldn't it make a lot more sense to get rid of uric acid by cutting off it's source... Purine
Gout is a form of arthritis but unlike some forms of arthritis it is completely controllable with the right diet and some simple, over the counter supplements. In this article we are going to give you a list of foods low in purines and also tell you about some alternative ways to get rid of gout.
A List of Foods Low in Purines
1. Eggs (limit to about 1 per day due to high cholesterol levels. Alternatively, you could use only the egg white).
2. Nuts and peanut butter: Almonds are my favourite.
3. Low-fat and fat-free cheeses and ice cream.
4. Milk: Go for the skimmed or semi-skimmed variety.
5. Cream-style soups made with skimmed or semi-skimmed milk.
6. Soups made without meat extract or broth. Try broccoli soup.
7. Vegetables. Broccoli is the super food!
8. Fruits and juices.
9. Breads and cereals: low fiber, white flour, or refined grain types.
12. Coffee and tea. Green tea is another super food / drink.
14. Fats and oils in small amounts. Extra virgin olive oil is best.
15. Sugar, syrup, and other sweets in small amounts.
This is the main list of foods low in purines you should try to eat if you have gout or if you are trying to prevent gout form forming in your joints. Many people get confused about the inclusion of dairy products in this list as the rule of thumb is that high protein foods are usually the highest in purine. This is not the case when it comes to dairy, which is moderately high in protein. Dairy produce has been proven to reduce the levels of uric acid in the body and therefore is classed by many people as a gout curing super food.
Another way to complement this list of foods low in purines is to take high doses of vitamin C when you have gout and sustain a moderately high daily intake of vitamin C when you are trying to prevent gout. Take 1,500mg or more daily when you have gout and 1,000mg daily when you are trying to prevent gout. Vitamin C in such high doses has been proven to lower uric acid levels in the body.