Orthopedic Surgeons And How To Get The Most Out Of Your Consultation
By: John G Wilson
Doctor-Patient consultation is indispensable when coming up with a correct diagnosis for your medical problem. That is why if you're considering orthopedic surgery on your knee, being able to tell your doctor the details of your situation can curtail the diagnostic process while making certain that you receive the most effective therapy.
So, how do you talk to your doctor about your knee pain? Below are some steps you might consider:
• Have a knee pain notebook. Jot down how your knees feel, when does your knee feel pain and what caused your knee to feel that way. Remember to keep your notes detailed and descriptive especially when it's about pain and its onset.
• Identify locations for the pain. Pain at the back of the knee may be a symptom different from pain that starts at the kneecap.
• Look into the anatomy of the knee. Knowing the parts of the knee and their dynamics can aid you in understanding the recommendations of your doctor.
• Consult with your doctor about what you will gain from knee orthopedic surgery. Level your expectations with what arthroscopy or knee replacement can really offer.
• Explore actual replacement joints and how they will function in your body.
• Explain to your doctor what happened to your knee whenever it hurt - does it lock up, get too stiff or relent under weight?
• Make sure that you get your facts straight about knee orthopedic surgery. It is a minimally invasive procedure specially designed for seriously torn ligaments and cartilage due to degenerative diseases or serious injury.
• Talk with your doctor about pain management and commitment to physical therapy programs. This is important to help prepare orthopedic surgery patients of the indispensable amount of pain that may be encountered when undergoing the recovery and rehabilitation process of a knee surgery.
Remember, the success of a knee orthopedic surgery does not only lie with the surgeon. Rather it is the good diagnosis of your doctor which can only be achieved by a good doctor-patient consultation. Search for a surgeon that will best cater to your needs.