Heart disease is the number one killer of women and it can be prevented by lowering cholesterol and reducing the risk of a heart attack or stroke. What you eat can affect the amounts of HDL (good) cholesterol and LDL (bad) cholesterol flowing through your bloodstream.
Here are 8 ways to lower your cholesterol naturally without the nasty side effects of drugs:
1. An apple a day keeps the doctor away - Apples, particularly the skin, are rich in polyphenols which are powerful antioxidants that help prevent plaque build up. Choose organic apples whenever possible and dip slices into almond butter for a delicious snack.
2. Eat garlic or take an odorless garlic supplement - Garlic prevents the liver from making cholesterol and helps to thin the blood. Cook your favorite vegetables with a little olive oil and garlic or roast garlic cloves in the oven and add to soups and sauces.
3. Make an oatmeal and egg white pancake for breakfast - Oats are a soluble fiber and act like a sponge and soak up cholesterol. Mix 1/2 cup of oats with 1 cup of egg whites - season with sea salt and pepper and pour into a hot skillet. Cook about 3 minutes on each side. Spread with almond butter or peanut butter for a delicious, filling breakfast.
4. Eat almonds - Almonds contain antioxidants like Vitamin E and flavonoids which prevent oxidation of LDL (bad) cholesterol to avoid plaque build up. Sprinkle slivered almonds on your oatmeal in the morning or on your dinner salad in the evening.
5. Add ground flaxseeds to your oatmeal or smoothie - Flaxseeds contain lignans and soluble fiber which block the production of LDL (bad) cholesterol and increase your body's ability to get rid of cholesterol. Make sure they are ground because your body cannot absorb them if they are whole.
6. Eat plant foods like fruits, nuts and seeds - They interfere with the absorption of cholesterol by blocking it from your intestinal walls.
7. Enjoy soy protein - Soy contains phytoestrogens that increase the liver's ability to get rid of cholesterol in your bloodstream. Order a soy latte or make a soy protein smoothie in the morning with ground flaxseeds. Try roasted soy nuts for a quick snack.
8. Exercise - You should find an exercise you enjoy and can commit to at least 30 minutes every single day. It gets the blood flowing, reduces inflammation and clogging of the arteries.
Start incorporating all of these tips into your daily routine and you should see a difference in your cholesterol levels in a short time. Lowering your cholesterol will reduce your risk of heart disease or a heart attack. Plaque can narrow your arteries and restrict blood flow. Eventually, the plaque ruptures and a clot forms cutting off blood, oxygen and nutrients to the brain. Hence, a heart attack or stroke.
Do not let this happen to you. All the tips listed above will you elevate your HDL (good) cholesterol which goes through your blood stream picking up the garbage, taking it to your liver where it is processed and excreted, hence, lowering your LDL (bad) cholesterol.
The endless side effects of cholesterol-lowering drugs are not the answer long term. They deplete your Co-Enzyme Q10 stores in the body which support heart function and give energy to the mitochondria in your cells. if you can lower your cholesterol naturally, it is definitely the way to go without having to deal with the side effects of drugs. To your good health!